The Marquette Piano Company, of Chicago, Illinois, began in 1905 by manufacturing Marquette player pianos and selling player piano actions to other piano companies that didn’t want to make their own. Under the guidance of J.P. Seeburg, one of Marquette’s founders, the firm introduced the Cremona coin operated piano in 1907. Starting in that year, Seeburg took Marquette’s entire output of Cremona coin pianos and operated them in commercial locations in the Chicago area. In 1909, when Seeburg left Marquette and introduced his own brand of coin pianos, Marquette continued on its own and remained in business, adding orchestrions and photoplayers to its line, until it faded away in the 1920s.